Locating a Missing
a pet can be a heart breaking experience, especially if you are confused about where to
turn for help.
Listed below are a few suggestions for
locating a missing pet.
- Check with your local Humane Society, animal shelter, Rabies Control Officer,
and/or Animal Control Office. Be sure to tell them you are looking for a lost pet, and
provide them with a description. A photo of your pet would be the most accurate
description you could provide. If possible, visit the Humane Society and Animal Shelter
every other day. Given the number of animals taken in daily and their staff rotation, your
animal may have been overlooked. Remember, even small municipalities surrounding your city
may have an Animal Control Officer.
- Check with local vets and any emergency animal clinic. Many injured animals are
brought in even if they appear to have no owners.
- Advertise in the local paper under "Lost and Found". Do not mention in
the ad where your pet was lost. You would be surprised to know how far lost animals can
travel. A small reward is often helpful.
- Check with local radio stations to see if they broadcast lost and found pets.
- Place a description (preferably a photo) of your pet in your mailbox. Ask your
mail carrier to be on the lookout. Provide the same information for your garbage
- Post a description of your pet around your
neighborhood and the surrounding area. Remember, it is illegal to place flyers directly in
mailboxes and on telephone poles. Be sure to collect any posters once your pet has been
- If you recently acquired your pet from an individual, check with the previous
owner. Your pet may be trying to find the way back to what used to be "home".
- After your pet is returned, take every precaution to ensure it does not get lost
again. Repair any holes or gaps in your fence. If your pet is fearful of loud noises
(thunder, firecrackers, etc.), be sure your pet is placed securely in your home or garage
during these times.
- Be sure your pet is always wearing identification. The most secure forms are the
engraved nameplates which rivet into your pets collar, and collars with your pets
name sewn into the fabric.
To Pampered Pups Home Page